The PhD in Business Administration and Management is jointly organized by the Universities of Pisa, Firenze and Siena. Our universities have strong research culture and more than 30 years of experience in organizing phd courses.
The PhD course is a three-year course providing doctoral students with the opportunity to become members of an international active and integrated community of researchers, interacting with distinguished faculty members.
Each doctoral student has two supervisors who will guide their research and foster their development as academic researchers, starting from the first year.
University of Pisa offers a wide range of PhD scholarships, accessible through a competitive public call every year.
The course is designed to prepare the doctoral students for the academic job market. Scholarships dedicated to applied researchers in partner firms and organizations also allow doctoral students accessing the private companies and consulting firms job market.
The PhD structure is as follows.
- 1st Year – Master of Research with PhD Research Project Foundation
- 2nd Year – PhD Thesis Development, with Research Activity and Visiting Period
- 3rd Year – PhD Thesis Completion, with Research Activity and Presentation at Conferences.
The Master of Research courses in the first year are designed around three pillars: Theories, Methods and Applications.
The Theories pillar includes the following courses:
- Business Administration and Accounting theory
- Organizational theory
- Management theory
The Methods pillar includes the following courses
- Literature Review methodologies
- Quantitative research methods: Statistics and Econometrics
- Qualitative research methods: Interviews, Surveys, Content analysis, Case study research, Historical methods
The Applications Pillar is structured on the teaching needs of the PhD sudents. Among the disciplines taught, we have: Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Auditing, Management Control, Marketing, International Management, Organization studies, Corporate Governance, Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management.
Further activities include course on academic teaching, academic writing and soft skills, like presentation skills.
PhD students and PhD research thesis
Department of Economia e Management at the University of Pisa.